Operations Oversight – Investment Management
- Responsible for operational relationships with investment management delegates; representing the firm and acting as the operational conduit in to the business. This is an oversight function to ensure delegated operational activities are delivered to time, quality and with minimal risk to the business.This will be predominantly managed through telephone and face to face service meetings and email communications.
- Supervise the Investment Operations Administrator.
- Work with other team members to deliver comprehensive processes and procedures to support the operational models.
- Operational oversight of the investment management operations in line with service level agreement (“SLA”) expectations. A standard SLA is agreed with each PM and which must be adhered to.This predominantly covers engagement with external administrators and custody in order to facilitate trading and settlement activity.
- Design and run the investment management on-going due diligence programme, supporting the Head of Operations as required.
- Provide the necessary inputs to the investment managers and outputs to the relevant Committees to provide a robust review of relevant systems and controls. Share secretariat responsibility for the Management Committee, as required.
- Agree risk ratings with the Head of Operations, discussing with Compliance as required. Ratify through the Management Committee.
- Originate and collate responses to several investment management oversight and reporting requirements, identifying trends and anticipating issues. Key is the effective management of, plus any remedial actions, to minimise late trades.
- Create monthly Fund Fact Sheets ensuring data and narrative content are accurate.
- Support the Investment and Marketing teams in the production of MI and reporting using third party systems such as Financial Express and StatPro.
- Provide the appropriate inputs and packs for the Committees and Board. This is namely a monthly summary of the operational effectiveness of all IMs, noting any issues or concerns.
- Lead the operational implementation of new or replacement Investment Manager selections, supporting due diligence and contract negotiation processes and transition activity, as required. This includes utilising detailed checklists to ensure all set up activities are completed ahead of go live e.g. ensuring markets are open, ensuring all distribution lists for daily reporting are available, activities for day 1 of trading are ready and third parties are prepared. This could extend to dealing with teething issues after go live that should be resolved quickly and efficiently to that investment decisions are not affected.
- Operate effective project plans and manage issues/actions with effective, proactive follow up mechanisms (e.g. see point above). Other change activities could include: Fund mergers/closures, systems and process changes, platform migrations, discretionary product launches and supporting regulatory change.
- Liaise with the Compliance team to facilitate effective monitoring activities and support audit activity, as required.
- Deputise for other team members, as required. Most likely is the daily completion of unit creation/redemption checks.
- Work closely with colleagues to ensure issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner to minimise any potential end investor, risk or financial impact.
- An experienced investment operations and fund services professional who understands the trade lifecycle, settlement and custody processes.
- Experience of managing critical service management agreements and contracts.
- As a minimum, has achieved the CISI Investment Operations Certificate (“IOC”), or equivalent.
- A detailed understanding of each stage of the investment operations process in order to be able to oversee activities conducted by others (e.g. trade lifecycle, settlements, custody, late trade processes, corporate actions, unit dealing etc.).
- A detailed understanding of UCITS collective investment schemes.
- Third Party service provider/oversight management skills. The Jobholder will be required to challenge and direct Investment Managers, ensuring they deliver services to the agreed Service Level and Investment Management Agreements (SLA and IMA).
- A good understanding of investment platforms and UK distribution structures in terms of how this affects inflows and outflows.
- Maintain a good understanding of industry best practice with regards to Conduct Risk, TCF and “Customer Outcomes”.
Skills and competencies
- Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook experience.
- Experience of preparing data and analysis, preferably through use of StatPro and Financial Express.
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn. Volunteers for new projects or learning experiences.
- Good attention to detail skills. Able to check own work and that of others to ensure quality and accuracy is maintained.
- Able to handle and prioritise multiple activities. The Jobholder needs be able to take initiatives from start to finish.
- Highly developed and confident presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Report writing is a key part of the role.
- Able to lead and maintain effective working relationships, building rapport with key contacts.
- Ability to hold effective meetings and document accordingly.
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
- Honest, open and transparent with high-levels of personal and professional integrity.